IAC CT - Newsroom
IAC Releases Updates to CT Standards - New Standards Effective Immediately
As an accreditation organization, IAC CT is committed to maintaining a program that balances the changing needs of both the CT community and the general public by influencing the quality of patient care provided. The IAC Standards and Guidelines for CT Accreditation are the most important component of that commitment. Composed by physicians, physicists and technologists from the IAC sponsoring organizations, the Standards are reviewed periodically by the Board of Directors and revised as needed.
As a component of the accreditation process, the IAC CT Board of Directors preliminarily approved the proposed Standards which were posted to the IAC CT website for a 60-day public comment period from April 19-June 19, 2017. Following careful review and consideration of the comments received, the Board of Directors voted final approval of the Standards.
Access the Standards
To view the updated Standards, please click the link below to visit the IAC CT website.
Key Revisions to the IAC Standards for CT
The majority of the changes are a clarification or explanation of the previous Standards; however, in some instances, the requirements have been modified. Key modifications are shown in the current Standards in highlighting and include:
- Introduction | CT Testing Areas: Sinus and Temporal Bone CT has been changed to Maxillofacial CT [sinus, temporal bone, facial bone, orbits, mandibular]
- Introduction | CT Testing Areas: Body CT has been revised to include soft tissue neck.
- Medical Director | Required Training and Experience (Applicable Standards - 184.108.40.206A, 220.127.116.11A)
- Medical Staff | Required Training and Experience (Applicable Standards - 18.104.22.168A, 22.214.171.124A)
- Technical Staff | Required Training and Experience (Applicable Standard - 126.96.36.199A)
- Examination Interpretation and Reports | Final Reports (Applicable Standards - 188.8.131.52A, 184.108.40.206A)
Standards that are highlighted are content changes that were made as part of the August 15, 2017 revision. These Standards will become effective immediately. Facilities applying for accreditation after August 15, 2017 must comply with these new highlighted Standards.
Proposed Changes to IAC CT Standards Now Open for Public Comment Through June 19, 2017 - COMMENT PERIOD CLOSED
APRIL 19, 2017 | In keeping with the IAC's continued commitment to streamlining and simplifying the accreditation process, we are pleased to announce that the public now has the opportunity to comment on proposed changes to the IAC Standards and Guidelines for CT Accreditation.
The Standards are reviewed periodically by the IAC CT Board of Directors and revised as needed. As a component to the accreditation process, proposed Standards that have been approved by the Board of Directors are then posted to the IAC website for a 60-day public comment period. These proposed Standards include changes to the current Standards and/or the addition of new Standards.
Beginning April 19, 2017, the public may visit the IAC website at intersocietal.org/iac/comment_period.htm#ct to comment on any of the proposed Standards until June 19, 2017. In order to provide comments, the IAC Comment Form must be completed and submitted electronically by the provided deadline.
To Submit a Comment on Proposed Standards
- Visit the IAC website at intersocietal.org/iac/comment_period.htm#ct;
- Select the proposed CT Standard on which to comment;
- A window will expand with the description of the Standard and the proposed change on the left;
- On the right, fill in your name and comment in the boxes provided;
- Hit Submit.
At the close of the comment period, the IAC CT Board of Directors will review any submitted comments, consider modifications as needed and vote for final approval of the Standards. Facilities are notified of changes to the published Standards, and the most current version of the Standards can be viewed or printed from the IAC CT website at intersocietal.org/ct/seeking/ct_standards.htm.
News Archive (Articles Prior to 2017)
2016 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 11-2016 | ASNC, IAC and SNMMI Call for Field to Focus on Radiation Dose Optimization in Nuclear Cardiology
- 2-2016 | IAC Announces New Chief Executive Officer
2015 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 8-2015 | IAC CT Releases Updates to Standards - New Quality Improvement Requirements Effective February 3, 2016; All Other Changes Effective Immediately
- 4-2015 | IAC CT Accreditation Program to Offer Low Dose CT (LDCT) Lung Cancer Screening
- 4-2015 | Proposed Changes to IAC CT Standards Now Open for Public Comment - Comment Period Now Closed
- 1-2015 | IAC Awarded ISO 9001:2008 Management System and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Certifications
2014 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 9-2014 | IAC CT Releases Updates to Standards
- 6-2014 | Pre-Submission Case Requirements Check Now Available
- 4-2014 | Proposed Changes to IAC CT Standards Now Open for Comment
- 4-2014 | Enhancements to Online Accreditation
- 2-2014 | IAC Changes Fee Structure for Multiple Sites
2013 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 10-2013 | Congratulations to IAC Forum Essay Winners
- 10-2013 | IAC Earns ISO 9001:2008 and 27001:2005 Certifications
- 6-2013 | Now Available! Lapel Pins, Embroidered Patches & Patient Information Brochures for Accredited Facilities
- 5-2013 | AAOMR: IAC CT/Dental Welcomes New Sponsoring Organization
- 5-2013 | Minnesota Facilities, Hospitals Furnishing ADI Services Must Be Accredited By 8/1/2013
- 4-2013 | California SB 1237 Requires CT Facilities to Be Accredited by 7/1/2013
- 4-2013 | Proposed Changes to IAC Standards and Guidelines for CT Accreditation Now Open for Public Comment - CLOSED
- 2-2013 | IAC Announces Proposal Acceptance for 2013 Research Award Program and Broadens Eligibility
- 1-2013 | Updates to Online Accreditation Allow Facilities to View Financial Details, Order Promotional Items
2012 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 8-15-2012 | IAC Releases 2012 Standards and Guidelines for CT Accreditation
- 8-1-2012 | IAC to Release Newly Formatted Standards for Vascular Testing, Echocardiography, Nuclear/PET, MRI and CT Facilities
- 5-15-2012 | Facilities Can Now View Letters, ARF Documents Online
- 5-30-2012 | IAC Provides New Standards and Resources to Help Clarify Policy Requirements
- 2-1-2012 | IAC Changes Division Names, Streamlines Accreditation Process
- 2-1-2012 | ICACTL Is Now IAC CT and the Accreditation Process Has Evolved!
- 2-1-2012 | Accredited Facilities Can Now Download Marketing Materials Online
- 2-1-2012 | IAC Launches New Website for CT Laboratories
- 1-2012 | Geoffrey Rose, MD, FACC, FASE Appointed Chairperson of IAC
2011 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 11-2011 | Is Your Facility Impacted by the Jan 1. CMS Accreditation Mandate? Enter Your NPI Numbers Immediately
- 3-2011 | NIA to Include IAC’s CT and CT Programs
2010 (click on the article name to view PDF)