ASNC, IAC and SNMMI Call for Field to Focus on Radiation Dose Optimization in Nuclear Cardiology
NOVEMBER 2016 | Working in concert, the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology (ASNC), the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC)’s Nuclear/PET accreditation division and the Society of Nuclear Medicine in Molecular Imaging (SNMMI) are mandating optimized radiation doses in conjunction with the nuclear cardiology studies (i.e., myocardial perfusion imaging) performed throughout the United States and beyond.
These efforts come in response to recently published research1,2 demonstrating that adherence to clinical nuclear imaging guidelines for reduced patient radiation exposure is variably implemented, resulting in administration of higher doses than necessary for some patients undergoing myocardial perfusion studies.
In February 2016, ASNC published guidelines for myocardial perfusion SPECT imaging, ASNC Imaging Guidelines for SPECT Nuclear Cardiology Procedures: Stress Protocols and Tracers, which include a chart entitled “Current SPECT Myocardial Perfusion Imaging Protocols: Recommended Radiopharmaceutical Activities and Their Corresponding Radiation Effective Doses.” These recommendations provide guidance for practitioners and are based on ASNC’s guiding principle of performing the most appropriate study that provides the highest quality data to aid in medical decision-making and minimizes risks to patients. Dose reduction strategies based on weight-based radiotracer dosing, thoughtful selection of radiotracer, stress-only imaging when appropriate, software innovations, state-of-the-art SPECT systems and utilization of PET for myocardial perfusion imaging are all methods supported by ASNC to achieve quality cardiac imaging at the lowest radiation exposure.
Rosemary Gibson Inspires More Than 1,200 Medical Imaging Professionals to Reflect on Their Ability to Impact Patient Safety
OCTOBER 2016 | On October 19th, nationally-known speaker, author and patient safety advocate, Rosemary Gibson, MSc, Senior Advisor of The Hastings Center and Perspectives Editor of the JAMA Internal Medicine, addressed more than 1,200 medical imaging professionals, encouraging that they take a step back from day-to-day practice to reflect on the impact they have on overall patient safety. Read press release»
IAC Attends 2016 MSI Conference
MAY 2016 | Cindy Weiland, RVT, RRT, IAC Chief Compliance Officer represented IAC at the 2016 Consensus Conference on Work-Related Musculoskeletal Injuries (MSI) held May 2-3 in Dallas, Texas. The conference, hosted by the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, brought together industry stakeholders to discuss ways to prevent MSI in those who use ultrasound imaging devices.
The conference attendees examined the prevalence of MSI within sonography, updated the industry standards created in 2003, and began developing a toolkit for sonographers and employers to use in the prevention of MSI.
By the end of the summer 2016, a draft of the updated industry standards will be distributed to the Consensus Conference participants for comments and edits. Once finalized, the updated standards will be distributed to industry organizations and manufacturers, who will have the opportunity to endorse or support the revised standards.
IAC Releases Year In Review 2015-2016
Through the pages of this publication, we invite you to explore IAC's recent accomplishments as well as future projects as we continue IAC's mission of Improving health care through accreditation®. You will also find details of our CEO transition which became effective February 29, 2016.
IAC is fortunate to have a broad range of stakeholders working together in the accreditation process, who have each played a role in the IAC's evolution in becoming a national leader in accreditation and improving the quality of health care. Our stakeholders include the applicant facilities, sponsoring organizations, and related industry partners and organizations.
We greatly value the work that we accomplish together and look forward to our ongoing collaboration in the future. You are encouraged to contact our office with any questions or comments about this publication.
IAC Announces New Chief Executive Officer
FEBRUARY 29, 2016 | The Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) announces that their Board of Directors has appointed Mary Lally, MS, CAE, as Chief Executive Officer. As CEO, Ms. Lally succeeds Sandra Katanick, retiring as IAC’s founding CEO since 1991.
“We are pleased to announce this appointment,” said Raymond Stainback, MD, FACC, FASE. IAC Chairperson. “Mary will bring leadership and clinical expertise to this important role. Having served the IAC for more than eight years, she has demonstrated her skills through programmatic and leadership development. She brings a wealth of perspective and experience.”
Bringing to the position a unique combined background of clinical expertise and association management experience, Ms. Lally possesses both a Master’s degree in Radiation Health Physics as well as the Certified Association Executive (CAE) credential.
News Archive (Articles Prior to 2016)
2015 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 12-2015| IAC Celebrating 25 Years of Improving Health Care Through Accreditation®
- 9-2015 | IAC CT Releases Updates to Dental CT Standards - New Quality Improvement Requirements Effective March 1, 2016; All Other Changes Effective Immediately
- 9-2015 | IAC MRI Releases Updates to Standards - New Quality Improvement Requirements Effective March 1, 2016; All Other Changes Effective Immediately
- 8-2015 | IAC Vascular Testing Releases Updates to Standards - New Quality Improvement Requirements Effective February 3, 2016
- 8-2015 | IAC Releases Updates to Adult Echocardiography Standards - New Standards Effective February 3, 2016
- 8-2015 | IAC Releases Updates to Pediatric Echocardiography Standards -New Standards Effective February 3, 2016
- 8-2015 | IAC CT Releases Updates to Standards - New Quality Improvement Requirements Effective February 3, 2016; All Other Changes Effective Immediately
- 8-2015 | IAC Vein Center Releases Updates to Standards - New Standards Effective August 3, 2015
- 5-2015 | IAC Announces Board of Directors for New Accreditation Program, IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology
- 1-2015 | IAC Awarded ISO 9001:2008 Management System and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Certifications
2014 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 11-2014 | IAC Staff Recognized at Society for Vascular Ultrasound's 2014 Annual Conference
- 9-2014 | IAC Accepts ALS Ice Bucket Challenge from SVU
- 9-2014 | VALUE Study Reports on Accreditation Status and Location of Outpatient Vascular Testing Facilities Among Medicare Beneficiaries
- 6-2014 | Pre-Submission Case Requirements Check Now Available
- 4-2014 | Enhancements to Online Accreditation
- 2-2014 | IAC Changes Fee Structure for Multiple Sites
- 1-2014 | IAC Stenosis Diagnostic Criteria White Paper
2013 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 11-2013 | IAC Vein Center Now Accepting Online Applications
- 10-2013 | Congratulations to IAC Forum Essay Winners
- 10-2013 | IAC Earns ISO 9001:2008 and 27001:2005 Certifications
- 10-2013 | IAC Publishes Standards For Upcoming Vein Center Accreditation Program
- 9-2013 | New Officers Elected to IAC Vein Center Board of Directors
- 9-2013 | Proposed Changes to IAC Standards for Carotid Stenting Accreditation Now Open for Public Comment - CLOSED
- 8-2013 | Proposed Changes to IAC Standards for MRI Accreditation Now Open for Public Comment - CLOSED
- 6-2013 | Carotid Stenting Program Now Accepting Online Applications
- 6-2013 | Now Available! Lapel Pins, Embroidered Patches & Patient Information Brochures for Accredited Facilties
- 5-2013 | AAOMR: IAC CT/Dental Welcomes New Sponsoring Organization
- 2-2013 | IAC Announces Proposal Acceptance for 2013 Research Award Program and Broadens Eligibility
- 1-2013 | Updates to Online Accreditation Allow Facilities to View Financial Details, Order Promotional Items
2012 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 8-1-2012 | IAC to Release Newly Formatted Standards for Vascular Testing, Echocardiography, Nuclear/PET, MRI and CT Facilities
- 5-15-2012 | Facilities Can Now View Letters, ARF Documents Online
- 5-30-2012 | IAC Provides New Standards and Resources to Help Clarify Policy Requirements
- 2-1-2012 | IAC Changes Division Names, Streamlines Accreditation Process
- 2-1-2012 | ICAVL Is Now IAC Vascular Testing and the Accreditation Process Has Evolved!
- 2-1-2012 | ICAEL Is Now IAC Echocardiography and the Accreditation Process Has Evolved!
- 2-1-2012 | ICANL Is Now IAC Nuclear/PET and the Accreditation Process Has Evolved!
- 2-1-2012 | ICACTL Is Now IAC CT and the Accreditation Process Has Evolved!
- 2-1-2012 | ICAMRL Is Now IAC MRI and the Accreditation Process Has Evolved!
- 2-1-2012 | ICACSF Is Now IAC Carotid Stenting and the Accreditation Process Has Evolved!
- 2-1-2012 | Accredited Facilities Can Now Download Marketing Materials Online
- 1-2012 | Geoffrey Rose, MD, FACC, FASE Appointed Chairperson of IAC
2011 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 11-2011 | Is Your Facility Impacted by the Jan 1. CMS Accreditation Mandate? Enter Your NPI Numbers Immediately
- 3-2011 | NIA to Include IAC’s MRI and CT Programs
2010 (click on the article name to view PDF)