IAC Research Program
As the IAC Research Program embarks on its fourth year, progress toward fulfilling its mission of Strengthening Research Through Accreditation has been realized in terms of several published manuscripts and abstracts. Accredited facilities, as well as all stakeholders within the medical community, are encouraged to review the research being put forth below.
RESEARCH COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Gary V. Heller, MD, PhD (Research Officer), John Choi, MD, MPH,
Kevin Cockroft, MD, MSc,
Heather Gornik, MD, RVT, RPVI,
Scott D. Jerome, DO, FACC, FASNC,
Leo Lopez, MD, FASE, FACC, FAAP,
Mark Meissner, MD and
Warren J. Manning, MD.
Identifying research as a core strategy toward furthering its mission of Improving health care through accreditation®, the IAC began efforts to support innovative and meritorious research programs relevant to facility accreditation in 2012.
As part of that initiative, the IAC launched a major research effort into all aspects of accreditation with the expressed purpose to critically evaluate and improve the process with the establishment of the IAC Research Committee. The IAC Research Committee consists of a research officer and representation from each IAC division.
IAC is ... Strengthening Accreditation Through Research
Watch the video to the right to hear IAC Research Officer Gary Heller discuss the importance of research to improving the accreditation process.
List of Research Award Program Recipients (2013-2016)»
For questions about the IAC Research Program, please contact Mary Beth Farrell, MS, CNMT, NCT, FSNMTS, IAC Director of Research, at 800-838-2110 or e-mail email@example.com.
The following are recent announcements from the IAC Research Program:
2016 Grant Recipients Announced
NOVEMBER 2015 | The IAC is pleased to announce the following grant recipients for 2016:
- Characteristics of Ultrasound Laboratories that have Transcranial Doppler (TCD) Accreditation in the United States
Primary Investigator: John Choi, MD, Winchester Neurological Associates, Winchester, VA and Kevin Cockroft, MD Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA
- The Impact of the ASNC Information Statement on Radiation Dose and Practice Patterns after 2014
Primary Investigator: Justin Lundbye, MD, The Hospital of Central Connecticut, New Britain, CT
- The Accreditation and Utilization of Cardiac Echo Laboratories in Medicare Beneficiaries: The VALUE - ECHO Study
Primary Investigator: Tatjana Rundek, MD, Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL.
- Measuring the Value of Accreditation: A framework of approaches for valuation and an illustration of accreditation's impact on diagnostic accuracy and health outcomes in the case of echocardiography
Primary Investigator: Gregory Ruhnke, MD, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
The IAC Research Committee evaluated submissions based upon their originality, practicality of study design, potential impact, generalizability and probability of achieving meaningful results within one year. In addition, investigator qualifications and previous health services research experience were considered.
JASE Publishes Manuscript by IAC Echocardiography Board President Merri L. Bremer
OCTOBER 2015 | The Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography (JASE) published a manuscript in it's October 2015 issue entitled, Relationship of Sonographer Credentialing to Intersocietal Accreditation Commission Echocardiography Case Study Image Quality, written by Merri L. Bremer, RN, ACS, RDCS, EdD. Dr Bremer is the president of the IAC Echocardiography Board of Directors and an accreditation case reviewer. Read the article»
IAC Research Manuscripts Published in Journals (as of November 2015):
- Alessio A, Farrell MB, Fahey F. Role of Reference Levels in Nuclear Medicine: A Report of the SNMMI Dose Optimization Task Force. J Nucl Med. 2015 Sep 24 doi:10.2967/jnumed.115.160861
- Merri LB. Relationship of Sonographer Credentialing to
Intersocietal Accreditation Commission
Echocardiography Case Study Image Quality. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015 Oct 9. pii: S0894-7317(15)00684-7. doi: 10.1016/j.echo.2015.09.002
- Jerome SD, Tilkemeier PL, Farrell, MB, Shaw LJ. Nationwide Laboratory Adherence to Myocardial Perfusion Imaging Radiation Dose Reduction Practices: A Report From the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission Data Repository. J Am Coll Cardiol Img. 2015;8(10):1170-1176. doi:10.1016/j.jcmg.2015.07.008.
- Jerome SD, Farrell MB, Godiwala T, Heller GV, Bezold LI, Choi JY, Cockroft KM, Gornik HL, Katanick SL, Manning WJ. Facility perception of nuclear cardiology accreditation: Results of an Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) survey. J Nucl Cardiol. 2015 22(3):496-503. doi: 10.1007/s12350-014-0011-5.
- Rundek T, Brown SC, Wang K, Dong C, Farrell MB, Heller GV, Gornik H, Hutchisson M, Needleman L, Benenati JF, Jaff MR, Meier GH, Perese S, Bendick P, Hamburg NM, Lohr JM, LaPerna L, Leers SA, Lilly MP, Tegeler C, Alexandrov AV, Katanick SL. Accreditation status and geographic location of outpatient vascular testing facilities among Medicare beneficiaries: the VALUE (Vascular Accreditation, Location & Utilization Evaluation) study. Vasc Med October 2014 19: 376-384, first published on September 1, 2014.
- Manning, W. J., Farrell, M. B., Bezold, L. I., Choi, J. Y., Cockroft, K. M., Gornik, H. L., Jerome, S. D., Katanick, S. L. and Heller, G. V. (2015), How Do Noninvasive Imaging Facilities Perceive the Accreditation Process? Results of an Intersocietal Accreditation Commission Survey. Clin Cardiol. doi: 10.1002/clc.22408/
- Nagueh SF, Farrell MB, Bremer ML, Dunsiger SI, Gorman BL, Tilkemeier PL. Predictors of Delayed Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories: An Analysis of the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission Database. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015; 28:1062-1069.
Published Abstracts (as of November 2015):
The following abstracts have been published in multiple peer review journals:
- Recommended vs Observed Radiation Doses for Myocardial Perfusion Imaging: Results from the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission Database, M Farrell, P Tilkemeier, S Jerome, L Shaw, Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, Ellicott City, MD; The
Miriam Hospital, Providence, RI; University of Maryland School of
Medicine, Westminster, MD; Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- Frequency of Use of C20 MSV for Myocardial Perfusion Imaging by Site Characteristics: Results from the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission Database,
S Jerome, M Farrell, P Tilkemeier, L Shaw, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Westminster, MD;
Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, Langhorne, PA; The
Miriam Hospital, Providence, RI; Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- Survey of Radiopharmaceutical Dosing Strategies for Bone and PET Scans, Adam Alessio, Frederic Fahey,
Mary Beth Farrell; Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, Children's Hospital Boston, Boston, MA, Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, Ellicott City, MD.
- Correlates Between Camera Age, Patient Volume and Laboratory Accreditation: A Snapshot of Equipment
Utilization in the Practice of Nuclear Cardiology in US, Harshal Patil, Mouin Abdallah, Timothy Bateman;
Cardiology, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, MO.
- Differences Between Nuclear Cardiology Labs Applying for Voluntary Versus Obligatory Accreditation: An Analysis Derived from the IAC Nuclear/PET Electronic Database, MS Abdallah, HR Patil, TM Bateman,
University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, MO
- Camera Age, Physician Readers, and Patient Volumes Among Accredited Imaging Labs: A Correlative Analysis Derived from the IAC Nuclear/PET Electonic Database, HR Patil, MS Abdullah, TM Bateman,
University of Missouri Kansas City/Saint Luke’s Mid America
Cardiology, Kansas City, MO
- How Do Nuclear and PET Facilities Perceive the Accreditation Process: Results of an Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) Survey, T Godiwala, MB Farrell, LI Bezold, JY Choi, K Cockroft,
Gornik, GV Heller, SL Katanick, WJ Manning, S Jerome
- Support for Standardization of Duplex Ultrasound Diagnostic Criteria for Internal Carotid Artery Stenosis: A Survey from the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC), Heather L. Gornik,
James F. Benenati,
Michael R. Jaff.
- Nuclear Facility Perception of Site Accreditation. Results of an Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) Survey, Farrell MB, Bezold LI, Choi JY, Cockroft KM, Gornik HL, Jerome S, Katanick SL,
Manning WJ, Heller GV
- Geographic Variation in Administered Radiation Dose for Myocardial Perfusion Imaging, Scott Jerome MD, Mary Beth Farrell, Leslee Shaw, PhD and Peter Tilkemeier MD
- Characteristics and Credentials of Echocardiography Laboratories in the United States: Insights from the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, Matthew W Parker, Diana Sobieraj, Mary Beth Farrell and Craig I Coleman, Hartford Hosp, Hartford, CT, Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, Eillicott City, MD
- How Do Non-invasive Imaging Facilities Perceive the Accreditation Process? Results of an Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) Survey, Warren Manning, Mary Beth Farrell, Louis Bezold, John Choi, Kevin Cockroft, Heather Gornik, Scott Jerome, Sandra Katanick, Gary Heller,
Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, Ellicott City, MD, USA
- Accreditation Is Perceived to Improve the Quality of Vascular Testing Facilities: Results of an Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) Survey, Linda Zhu, Mary Beth Farrell, Louis Bezold, John Choi, Kevin Cockroft, Gary Heller, Scott Jerome, Sandra Katanick, Warren Manning, Laurence Needleman, Heather Gornik, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
- Radiation Dosimetry for Myocardial Perfusion Imaging Protocols in Current Practice: Mechanisms to Meet Exposure Limits, Scott Jerome, Mary Beth Farrell, Tapan Godiwala, Leslee Shaw, Peter Tilkemeier, Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, Ellicott City, MD,
IAC Defines Research as a Key Strategic Goal,
Establishing the IAC Research Award Program
JULY 2012 | Identifying research as a core strategy toward furthering its mission of Improving health care through accreditation, the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) has announced efforts to support innovative and meritorious research programs relevant to facility accreditation. As part of that initiative, the IAC has launched a major research effort into all aspects of accreditation with the expressed purpose to critically evaluate and improve the process with the establishment of the IAC Research Committee. The IAC Research Committee consists of a research officer and representation from each IAC division. Read the complete story»