IAC Releases Updates to Vein Center Standards - New Standards Effective June 1, 2017
JANUARY 9, 2017 | As an accreditation organization, IAC Vein Center is committed to maintaining a program that balances the changing needs of both the vein center community and the general public by influencing the quality of patient care provided. The IAC Standards & Guidelines for Vein Center Accreditation: Superficial Venous Evaluation and Management are the most important component of that commitment. Composed by physicians, nurses and technologists from the IAC sponsoring organizations, the Standards are reviewed periodically by the Board of Directors and revised as needed.
As a component of the accreditation process, once approved by the IAC Vein Center Board of Directors, proposed Standards are posted to the IAC Vein Center website for a 60-day public comment period. Standards that are affected by the most recent public comment period (October 5, 2016 to December 5, 2016) are included in this published version.
Access the Standards
View the new Standards on the website:
Download: IAC Standards & Guidelines for Vein Center Accreditation: Superficial Venous Evaluation and Management
Standards that are highlighted are content changes that were made as part of the January 9, 2017 revision. Facilities that perform fluoroscopy can find additional standards at intersocietal.org/vein/standards/IACVeinStandards2017_Fluoroscopy.pdf.
Key Revisions to the IAC Standards for Vein Center
Some of the changes made are a clarification or explanation of the previous Standards, however, in several instances, the requirements have been modified. Key modifications include:
- Introduction (Superficial: Primary Requirements)
- Medical Director - Required Training and Experience (Applicable Standards 1.1.1A, 126.96.36.199A, 188.8.131.52A, 184.108.40.206A, 220.127.116.11A)
- Medical Director - Responsibilities (Applicable Standard 18.104.22.168A)
- Medical Staff Required Training and Experience (Applicable Standard 22.214.171.124A, 126.96.36.199A, 188.8.131.52A)
- Advanced Practice Provider (Applicable Standards 184.108.40.206A, 220.127.116.11A, 18.104.22.168A). Please note: Advanced Practice Provider was previously known as Physician Extender.
- Nursing Staff Required Training and Experience (Applicable Standards 22.214.171.124A, 126.96.36.199A)
- Nursing Staff Qualifying and Continuing Education (CE/CME) Requirements (Applicable Standard 188.8.131.52A)
- Ultrasound Technologist Required Training and Experience (Applicable Standard 1.5.1A)
- Ultrasound Technologist Continuing Medical Education (CME) Requirements (Applicable Standard 184.108.40.206A)
- Equipment and Instrumentation (Applicable Standard 220.127.116.11A)
- Procedure Requirements - Sclerotherapy (Applicable Standard 18.104.22.168B)
- Procedure Requirements - Ambulatory Phlebectomy (Applicable Standard 1.7.3B)
- Procedure Requirements - Endovenous Thermal Ablation (Applicable Standards 22.214.171.124B, 126.96.36.199B)
- Procedure Requirements - Endovenous Non-Thermal Non-Tumescent Ablation Procedure (Applicable Standards 1.9.1B -1.9.4B)
- Procedure Requirements - Non-Operative Management of Chronic Venous Insufficiency with Ulceration (Applicable Standards 1.10B, 188.8.131.52B)
- Quality Improvement Program (Applicable Standards 1.1C-1.1.5C)
- Quality Improvement Oversight (Applicable Standard 1.2C)
- Quality Improvement Measures (Applicable Standards 2.1.1C-2.1.5C)
- Quality Improvement Meetings (Applicable Standard 3.1C)
- Quality Improvement Documentation (Applicable Standard 4.1C)
Facilities applying for accreditation after June 1, 2017 must comply with these new highlighted Standards.