IAC Vascular Testing - Newsroom
Alan T. Hirsch, MD, MSVM Former IAC Vascular Testing Board Member Passes Away
The IAC staff is sad to hear about the passing of Alan T. Hirsch, MD, MSVM. Dr. Hirsch was an instrumental contributor to the field of vascular medicine, including being the founder of the Society for Vascular Medicine. Read the complete obituary for Dr. Hirsch at www.mitzvahfunerals.com/book-of-memories/2900891/Hirsch-Alan/obituary.php.
Proposed Changes to IAC Vascular Testing Standards Now Open for Public Comment - COMMENT PERIOD NOW CLOSED
APRIL 5, 2017 | In keeping with the IAC's continued commitment to streamlining and simplifying the accreditation process, we are pleased to announce that the public now has the opportunity to comment on proposed changes to the IAC Standards and Guidelines for Vascular Testing Accreditation.
The Standards are reviewed periodically by the IAC Vascular Testing Board of Directors and revised as needed. As a component to the accreditation process, proposed Standards that have been approved by the Board of Directors are then posted to the IAC website for a 60-day public comment period. These proposed Standards include changes to the current Standards and/or the addition of new Standards.
Beginning April 5, 2017, the public may visit the IAC website at intersocietal.org/iac/comment_period.htm#vascular to comment on any of the proposed Standards until June 5, 2017. In order to provide comments, the IAC Comment Form must be completed and submitted electronically by the provided deadline.
To Submit a Comment on Proposed Standards
- Visit the IAC website at intersocietal.org/iac/comment_period.htm#vascular;
- Select the proposed Vascular Testing Standard on which to comment;
- A window will expand with the description of the Standard and the proposed change on the left;
- On the right, fill in your name and comment in the boxes provided;
- Hit Submit.
At the close of the comment period, the IAC Vascular Testing Board of Directors will review any submitted comments, consider modifications as needed and vote for final approval of the Standards. Facilities are notified of changes to the published Standards, and the most current version of the Standards can be viewed or printed from the IAC Vascular Testing website at www.intersocietal.org/vascular/seeking/ vascular_standards.htm.
Update on the IAC Vascular Testing Carotid Diagnostic Criteria Project
MARCH 2017 | In 2014, IAC Vascular Testing published a white paper document regarding carotid diagnostic criteria and its activities in this arena1. The document discusses the variability in carotid stenosis interpretation across accredited facilities and summarizes data from surveys of IAC accredited laboratories that support efforts toward standardization. The document describes plans to internally validate carotid diagnostic criteria for use in IAC accredited facilities, including commissioning of a carotid research committee.
As an update, the IAC Vascular Testing Carotid Research Committee met on February 17, 2017 to review progress of its diagnostic criteria project. Eleven clinical sites have submitted protocol-directed case study materials. At this time, all 210 complete case studies (bilateral carotid duplex studies and catheter-based angiograms) have been collected and technical data has been abstracted from these studies. The angiograms and ultrasounds are now undergoing interpretive review. Study data will be analyzed in 2017, with plans for publication and dissemination of the study results in 2018.
The IAC will continue to provide updates regarding this project as it moves ahead. With regard to which carotid diagnostic criteria to use at the present time, IAC Vascular Testing continues to recommend that in the absence of internally validated single set of diagnostic criteria, facilities should consider the use of one single set of standardized diagnostic criteria: The Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound (SRU) Criteria for Carotid Stenosis Interpretation 2. Facilities that have internally validated their own criteria may continue to use these criteria.
Participating sites in the diagnostic criteria research project:
Cleveland Clinic (Heather Gornik, MD, RVT, RPVI; Alia G. Grattan, RDMS, RVT)
Novant Health Heart and Vascular Institute (Kelly M. Estes RT(R), RDMS, RVT, RDCS)
Riverside Radiology (Lucy LaPerna, DO, FSVM, RPVI, RVT)
TriHealth (Joann Lohr, MD, FACS, RVT)
University at Buffalo (Adnan Siddiqui, MD, PhD)
University Hospital and Clinics (Michel E. Comeaux, RN, BSN, RVT, RDMS, FSVU)
University of Maryland (Michael Lilly, MD, RVT, RPVI)
University of Miami (Tatjana Rundek, MD, PhD)
University of Pittsburgh (Steven Leers, MD, RVT)
University of Southern California (Susana Robison, BS, RVT, FASE)
University of Washington (R. Eugene Zierler, MD, RPVI)
Members of the IAC Vascular Testing Carotid Research Committee:
Andrei V. Alexandrov, MD, RVT; James Benenati, MD, FSIR; Nirvikar Dahiya, MD, FSRU; Hannah Gardener, PhD (study statistician), Heather Gornik, MD, RVT, RPVI; Naomi Hamburg, MD, MS, RPVI, FASE; Marge Hutchisson, BS, RVT, RDCS, RPhS (IAC);Ann Marie Kupinski, PhD, RVT, RDMS; Steven Leers, MD, RVT; Michael Lilly, MD, RVT, RPVI; Joann Lohr, MD, FACS, RVT; Shelly McManamon, RVT (IAC); Laurence Needleman, MD; John S. Pellerito, MD, FACR, FSRU, FAIUM; Ken Rholl, MD; Tatjana Rundek, MD, PhD; Adnan Siddiqui, MD, PhD; Melissa A. Vickery, LPN-B, RVT, FSVU
- Grant EG, Benson CB, Moneta GL, Alexandrov AV, Baker JD, Bluth EI, et al. Carotid artery stenosis: grayscale and Doppler US diagnosis – Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound Consensus Conference. Radiology 2003. pp. 340-6.
- IAC Vascular Testing White Paper on Carotid Stenosis Interpretation Criteria www.intersocietal.org/vascular/forms/iaccarotidcriteriawhitepaper1-2014.pdf
Richard Kempczinski, MD, Founding Board Member and Former President of IAC Vascular Testing Passes Away
The IAC staff is sad to hear about the passing of Richard F. Kempczinski, MD, on March 8, 2017. Dr. Kempczinski helped to establish the vascular testing division of the IAC and served as its second President. Read the complete obituary for Dr. Kempczinski at www.gilliganfuneralhomes.com/obituary/Richard-Dr.-K-Kempczinski/Cincinnati-OH/1707710.
News Archive (Articles Prior to 2017)
2016 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 7-2016 | IAC Releases Updates to Vascular Testing Standards - New Standards Effective January 1, 2017
- 4-2016 | Proposed Changes to IAC Vascular Testing Standards Now Open for Public Comment Through June 15th - Comment Period Now Closed
- 2-2016 | IAC Announces New Chief Executive Officer
2015 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 8-2015 | IAC Vascular Testing Releases Updates to Standards - New Quality Improvement Requirements Effective February 3, 2016
- 4-2015 | Proposed Changes to IAC Vascular Testing Standards Now Open for Public Comment - Comment Period Now Closed
- 2-2015 | IAC Vascular Testing Releases Updates to Standards
- 1-2015 | IAC Awarded ISO 9001:2008 Management System and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Certifications
2014 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 11-2014 | IAC Staff Recognized at Society for Vascular Ultrasound's 2014 Annual Conference
- 11-2014 | Proposed Changes to IAC Vascular Testing Standards Now Open for Public Comment - Comment Period Now Closed
- 9-2014 | VALUE Study Reports on Accreditation Status and Location of Outpatient Vascular Testing Facilities Among Medicare Beneficiaries
- 6-2014 | Pre-Submission Case Requirements Check Now Available
- 4-2014 | Enhancements to Online Accreditation
- 2-2014 | IAC Changes Fee Structure for Multiple Sites
- 1-2014 | IAC Stenosis Diagnostic Criteria White Paper
2013 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 10-2013 | Congratulations to IAC Forum Essay Winners
- 10-2013 | IAC Earns ISO 9001:2008 and 27001:2005 Certifications
- 6-2013 | Now Available! Lapel Pins, Embroidered Patches & Patient Information Brochures for Accredited Facilities
- 3-2013 | Proposed Changes to IAC Standards for Vascular Testing Accreditation Now Open For Public Comment - Comment Period Now Closed
- 2-2013 | Changes to the IAC Vascular Board of Directors
- 2-2013 | IAC Announces Proposal Acceptance for 2013 Research Award Program and Broadens Eligibility
- 1-2013 | Updates to Online Accreditation Allow Facilities to View Financial Details, Order Promotional Items
- 1-2013 | IAC Vascular Testing Releases Minor Changes to Standards
2012 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 9-5-2012 | Proposed Changes to Standards Now Open for Public Comment
- 8-15-2012 | IAC Releases 2012 Standards and Guidelines for Vascular Testing Accreditation
- 8-1-2012 | IAC to Release Newly Formatted Standards for Vascular Testing, Echocardiography, Nuclear/PET, MRI and CT Facilities
- 5-1-2012 | Proposed Changes to Standards Now Open for Public Comment
- 5-15-2012 | Facilities Can Now View Letters, ARF Documents Online
- 5-30-2012 | IAC Provides New Standards and Resources to Help Clarify Policy Requirements
- 3-2012 | IAC Releases Upgrade to Online Accreditation Application
- 2-1-2012 | IAC Changes Division Names, Streamlines Accreditation Process
- 2-1-2012 | ICAVL Is Now IAC Vascular Testing and the Accreditation Process Has Evolved!
- 2-1-2012 | Accredited Facilities Can Now Download Marketing Materials Online
- 2-1-2012 | IAC Launches New Website for Vascular Laboratories
- 1-2012 | Geoffrey Rose, MD, FACC, FASE Appointed Chairperson of IAC
2011 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 12-2011 | IAC Announces Changes to Case Study Requirements
- 12-2011 | IAC Releases New Version of Online Application
- 11-2011 | Enhancement to Online Accreditation Allows Facilities to Enter and Store NPI Data and/or Medicare Enrollment Numbers
2010 (click on the article name to view PDF)