About IAC CT Accreditation
The Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) accredits imaging facilities specific to CT. IAC accreditation is a means by which facilities can evaluate and demonstrate the level of patient care they provide. IAC CT accreditation is granted for a three-year period from the original date of decision. Varying per modality and practice setting, IAC CT accreditation is required in some U.S. states and regions, by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and by numerous private insurers (read more in payment policies section»).
Types of Accreditation Offered
- coronary calcium scoring CT
- coronary CTA
- neurological CT [brain, acute stroke brain, spine]
- maxillofacial CT [sinus, temporal bone, facial bone, orbits, mandibular]*
- body CT [soft tissue neck, chest (non-coronary), low dose CT (LDCT) lung cancer screening, abdomen, pelvis, extremity]*
- vascular CTA [neurovascular (including carotids), chest (non-coronary), abdomen, pelvis, peripheral/extremity]
*Facilities utilizing a cone beam CT scanner may apply for accreditation under these areas.
Designed to serve facilities as an educational tool, IAC CT accreditation is made up of two crucial steps.
- Review of the Standards: First, facilities conduct a self-evaluation by reviewing the IAC Standards. Standards are the minimum requirements to which an accredited facility is held accountable. Download the Standards»
- Completion of the Online Application: Second, facilities utilize IAC Online Accreditation to complete and submit their application. Completion of the application requires detailed information on all aspects of facility operation as well as the submission of actual case studies for review. Read more about case studies»
Fees are due at the time of online application submission. View IAC fee structure for applicant CT facilities»
Application Review & Decisions
The application review process generally takes approximately 8 to 10 weeks to complete, at which time the decision is provided to the facility. After the review process has been completed, the facility will be notified of the accreditation decision via a notification letter that may be downloaded from the Online Accreditation portal. Read more»