IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology - Newsroom
HRS Update of the CMS National Coverage Decision (NCD) for ICD Implantation
MARCH 2018 | The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recently released its updated National Coverage Decision (NCD) for ICD Implantation. The policy includes a requirement for a shared decision making encounter for four of the six covered indications for ICD implantation. The Heart Rhythm Society and the American College of Cardiology are pleased to present a webinar sharing guidance about the changes in the Medicare coverage policy. This 20 minute complimentary webinar includes:
- an overview of the important changes to the coverage policy
- an overview of the coverage indications that require shared decision making
- a case study of a shared decision making tool used at the VA Eastern Colorado health care system
To learn more or to view the webcast, visit www.hrsonline.org/2018-ICD-Coverage-Policy-Webinar.
IAC Releases Updates to Cardiac Electrophysiology Standards - New Standards Effective February 15, 2018
AUGUST 15, 2017 | As an accreditation organization, IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology is committed to maintaining a program that balances the changing needs of both the cardiac electrophysiology community and the general public by influencing the quality of patient care provided. The IAC Standards and Guidelines for Cardiac Electrophysiology Accreditation are the most important component of that commitment. Composed by physicians, nurses and technical and imaging specialists from the IAC sponsoring organizations, the Standards are reviewed periodically by the Board of Directors and revised as needed.
As a component of the accreditation process, the IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology Board of Directors preliminarily approved the proposed Standards which were posted to the IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology website for a 60-day public comment period from May 1-July 1, 2017. Following careful review and consideration of the comments received, the Board of Directors voted final approval of the Standards.
Access the Standards
To view the updated Standards, please click the link below to visit the IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology website.
Key Revisions to the IAC Standards for Cardiac Electrophysiology
The majority of the changes are a clarification or explanation of the previous Standards; however, in some instances, the requirements have been modified. Key modifications are shown in the current Standards in highlighting and include:
- Advanced Practice Provider: All references of physician extender changed to advanced practice provider. (Applicable Standards - Introduction, 1.7A)
- Medical Staff | Required Training and Experience (Applicable Standard - 126.96.36.199A)
- Procedure and Protocols | Procedure Requirements (Applicable Standards - 1.2.7B, 1.4.5B)
- Procedure and Protocols | Guidelines (Applicable Standard - 188.8.131.52B)
- Quality Improvement Measures | Safety and Procedural Outcomes (Applicable Standard - 2.2.3C)
- Quality Improvement Measures | Requirements for Interpretive Quality Review (Applicable Standard - 2.3.2C)
- Quality Improvement Measures | Requirements for Final Report Completeness and Timeliness (Applicable Standard - 2.4.1C)
- Quality Improvement Meetings | Requirements for QI Meetings (Applicable Standard - 3.1.1C)
Standards that are highlighted are content changes that were made as part of the August 15, 2017 revision. These Standards will become effective on February 15, 2018. Facilities applying for accreditation after February 15, 2018 must comply with these new highlighted Standards.
First Facilities to Earn IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology Accreditation Recognized at HRS 2017
MAY 19, 2017 | IAC is proud to congratulate the first 13 facilities accredited by IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology. This inaugural group was recognized during the Heart Rhythm 2017 in Chicago for leading the field of cardiac electrophysiology and demonstrating their commitment to quality.
- Baptist Health Care
- CentraCare Heart & Vascular Center
- CHI Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center
- C. S. Mott Children’s Hospital
- Grandview Medical Center
- INOVA Heart and Vascular Fairfax
- Mercy Medical Center
- Mercy West Lakes
- Renown Regional Medical Center
- St. Louis Children’s Hospital
- The Valley Heart and Vascular Institute
- ValleyHealth Winchester Medical Center
- Virginia Mason Medical Center
To view a video of the facilities and their achievement, click here.
Proposed Changes to IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology Standards Now Open for Public Comment Through July 1, 2017
MAY 1, 2017 | In keeping with the IAC's continued commitment to streamlining and simplifying the accreditation process, we are pleased to announce that the public now has the opportunity to comment on proposed changes to the IAC Standards and Guidelines for Cardiac Electrophysiology Accreditation.
The Standards are reviewed periodically by the IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology Board of Directors and revised as needed. As a component to the accreditation process, proposed Standards that have been approved by the Board of Directors are then posted to the IAC website for a 60-day public comment period. These proposed Standards include changes to the current Standards and/or the addition of new Standards.
Beginning May 1, 2017, the public may visit the IAC website at intersocietal.org/iac/comment_period.htm#ep to comment on any of the proposed Standards until July 1, 2017. In order to provide comments, the IAC Comment Form must be completed and submitted electronically by the provided deadline.
To Submit a Comment on Proposed Standards
- Visit the IAC website at intersocietal.org/iac/comment_period.htm#ep;
- Select the proposed Cardiac Electrophysiology Standard on which to comment;
- A window will expand with the description of the Standard and the proposed change on the left;
- On the right, fill in your name and comment in the boxes provided;
- Hit Submit.
At the close of the comment period, the IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology Board of Directors will review any submitted comments, consider modifications as needed and vote for final approval of the Standards. Facilities are notified of changes to the published Standards, and the most current version of the Standards can be viewed or printed from the IAC Cardiac Electrophysiology website at intersocietal.org/ep/seeking/cardiacep_standards.htm.
News Archive (Articles Prior to 2017)
2016 (click on the article name to view PDF)
- 2-2016 | IAC Releases Cardiac Electrophysiology Accreditation Program - Facilities Can Now Access the Published Standards and Submit Applications
- 2-2016 | IAC Announces New Chief Executive Officer
2015 (click on the article name to view PDF)